APPLE PIE MACARONS
- 110g almond meal
- 140g icing sugar sifted
- 90g apple tea (see foot note*)
- 10g egg white powder
- 100g castor sugar
- 2 drops of lemon
- 100g butter
- 100g sifted icing sugar
- 90g apple butter
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a food processor, process almond meal with icing sugar. Sieve and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add cooled apple tea to egg white
- Hand whisk till foamy, frothy and lump free
- Using kitchen mixer, whisk until soft peak.
- Add caster sugar all at once and whisk on medium speed for 8 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Whisk till stiff peak.
- Incorporate half almond meal mixture into meringue.
- Gently mix and add the other half almond mixture.
- Mix until soft and shiny (REMEMBER : not to over beat the mixture!!!)
- Pipe onto greaseproof paper placed on baking sheets and leave to ‘dry’ for at least 20-30 minutes
- Pre-heat oven fan-forced to 150C
- Place the ‘dry to touch’ macarons shells into oven. Reduce temperature to 140C and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Transfer macarons to kitchen bench top and leave to cool before removing macaron shells from paper.
- Whisk all ingredients till creamy and consistent.
- Place in piping bag
- Pipe the apple buttercream onto one macaron shell.
- Pipe the apple butter in the centre
- Top with another shell, give it a gentle squeeze and turn
- Refrigerate overnight before eating.
Recipe by: Lisa’s Lemony Kitchen, mykeuken.com