Cakes bulge when they have not settled before icing them.
- Let the cakes set several hours or overnight before icing them.
- Set cakes bottoms UP. Do not put bottoms together
IF YOUR CAKE IS FROZEN.
- Don’t put layers together while frozen.
- Bake, cool, fill generously between layers, and put them together THEN freeze. Cake should be room temperature before unwrapping it. For a simple 8-10″ cake, 12 hours to overnight will be sufficient thawing time.
- But if you were to freeze a large wedding cake it may take longer. I found that a 16 inch 2-layer wedding cake needed almost 2 days with using the 2-plate system for a wedding cake.
- Also, freezing tends to dry out icing. Recommend that you freeze a bare or crumb-coated cake than an iced cake.