Coconut Cake Recipe–Rich in Flavor
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 6 large egg whites room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3½ cups cake flour (see directions for cake flour below)
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups FROZEN coconut flakes (use frozen for lasting freshness)
- Grease two 9-inch pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the butter, oil, and sugar together until smooth. Beat in coconut extract and egg whites 2 minutes until fluffy. Beat in coconut milk and sour cream until just combined.
- Mix in cake flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the three prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. Let sit in pans for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before layering and frosting.
- Make the frosting by using a hand mixer to beat cream cheese and butter together for 1 minute until light and fluffy. Add in coconut extract and mix until combined, about 10 seconds.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar, one half cup at a time until smooth, mixing between additions.
- Frost and layer cake with frosting and use coconut flakes to coat.
CAKE FLOUR SUBSTITUTE
It’s easy to make your own cake flour! Measure out 1 cup of flour. Remove 2 tablespoons from the cup. Replace with cornstarch. Sift together. You now have 1 cup of cake flour!