Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 2 and 4 oz. Glass Bottles (prefer dark glass jars to preserve flavor)
- *7 Vanilla Beans, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 cup Vodka 80 proof (cheapest you can find, doesn’t affect flavor)
Single-Fold Vanilla: 13 ounces of vanilla beans per gallon of vodka, for commercial grade.
Double-Fold Vanilla: 23 ounces of beans per gallon of vodka, used by many professional bakers.
*Grade B Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans: Grade B is specifically meant for extracting and yield the most flavor. Grade A vanilla beans are meant for cooking. But if you have Grade A those will also work.
- Scrape out the vanilla flecks inside. Add the flecks and the beans to the vodka in a glass jar with a fitted lid. (Scraping the vanilla bean not required, but makes it appear homemade, which it is.)
- Once the extract is ready, place the funnel on the glass jars and fill them with the extract.
- Now your job is simply to give it a shake every now and then during the ripening process.
Makes great gifts.