1 medium potato peeled
1.5-2 cups of water
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp sugar
- Boil your potato as you would for mashed potatoes…KEEPING THE WATER USED.
- Let water cool.
- Pour 1.5 cups of the water into a one quart jar, stir in sugar and flour. Mix gently.
- Cover with paper towel and elastic or dish towel and leave overnight in a warm place.
- Ensure the yeast has room to expand in the jar. It should be bubbly and smell like yeast the next morning.
- Store in the fridge and use as needed.
- Every week, feed the yeast with 1.5 cups of water, 1.5 cup of flour and 2 Tablespoons of sugar.
- Make sure you either use or remove half of the yeast from the jar before adding to the recipe.
Note: 2 Tbsp potato yeast = 1 Tbsp store bought yeast
Recipe from albertapotatoes.ca