Danai’s Wedding Cake
2 ½ c flour
2 c sugar
½ t baking soda
1.5 t baking powder
1 t salt
2/3 c butter + ¼ c butter (unsalted, room temp)
¾ c sour cream
½ c milk
2 t vanilla
1 t butter extract
6 egg whites (large, room temp)
3 egg whites
3/4 c sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Grease & flour 2 8” round, 2” deep cake pan
- Mix sour cream, milk, vanilla, butter extract & egg whites.
- In separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients
- Add butter in chunks to flour mixture.
- Mix until flour is coated with butter. Crumbly.
- Add in half the liquid and mix just until combined.
- Add in last half of liquid mixture & mix until combined.
- *Make Meringue (Recipe Below) and add to cake batter.
- Scrape bowl sides and mix again for 10-15 seconds.
- Do not overbeat batter.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 45-50 minutes (adjust for larger pans)
- Cool on wire rack.
- Frost with Italian Buttercream; holds the best for cakes that need to be frozen.
Whip egg whites in glass or metal bowl until stiff peaks form. Slowly add sugar and whip til blended.